Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Special - Scotch Tape Mani

Base: CG Let's Do It In 3-D Tip: OPI Tease-y Does It

Inspired by various nail blogs, I decided to attempt my first Scotch tape mani over my current one. Not only does it change the look of my nails, it is also very handy to cover tip wear when you are too lazy to put on a new polish.

All you need for this mani is a piece of scotch tape (and of course, polish!)  Then follow the easy steps below:

  1. Put on a base color of your choice
  2. Allow the base color to dry completely
  3. Take a piece of Scotch tape, stick it on your skin, peel it off, and repeat this until the tape is barely sticky. The tape could potentially remove bits of your base color if it has too much glue on it
  4. Place the tape on your nails at whatever angle you wish (you can also do a French manicure using this method)
  5. Apply a different nail polish to the area that is not covered by the tape
  6. Carefully and slowly remove the tape before the polish is dried. If you peel off the tape too fast (like waxing), you may smear the edge which results in an untidy tip (see my index and middle fingers in the photo above)
  7. Voila! Your Scotch tape mani is done! 

Step 5 - apply polish to the tip
The finish look after the tape is peeled off

4 comments:

Geo58 said...

So that is the tape secret, remove as much of the sticky part of the tape before you use it to put another color. Vary ingenious indeed, nails look totally awesome! Love this technique. Beautiful post and beautiful nails.

Love,

George :)

Emily said...

I always think to rip off the tape really fast, idk why.. I guess it's the bandaid mentality lol. Thus, I always screw tape manis up so I quit trying to do them. Maybe I'll have to revisit this cute trend! It looks good!

GothamPolish said...

This is a neat design, I like the colors you chose too!

Cat said...

I really like this look and the colour combo is great! x